Thursday, October 6, 2011

Being an Innovator

As I sat down at my MacBook on Wednesday night to finish the edits to my post for this week about running for IFC and Panhellenic Executive Board positions, I opened Facebook and saw that my entire newsfeed was posts about the loss of Steve Jobs.  Today the world lost a man that was a powerful symbol of creativity and innovation. For this generation (today's University students), Steve Jobs work has influenced and shaped our world through his passion and his vision for change, perhaps more than any other.


I want to be an innovator.  I want to be a person that views the world, sees a way to make it better, and seeks out ways to make that change a reality.  It is with complete confidence that I state that I will never be "famous" to anyone but my mom, but how can I be a person that sees opportunity in every moment? How can I be a person that does great work? I saw this quotation and knew I had to share it:

"Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do."
~Steve Jobs

I am satisfied. My work is to provide opportunities for young men and women to learn and grow. It is great work. I love what I do - and it gets better each and every year.  The opportunity for me to make a difference is right before me.  Just like it is right before you. Who will you be?  What will you do?

I wonder what would happen if we all lived this was true?  Instead of complaining that "the administration" was changing all of the things you liked, what if you brought a new idea to the community? What if, in the absence of the leadership you hope for and desire, you stepped up and changed the way we do business? What if... you risked it all and were truly great?

No comments:

Post a Comment