Thursday, November 1, 2012

Real Life Lessons

A few weeks ago I can across this article from Forbes. I know, not my usual forte... But, it was remarkable. It is titled, "40 Things To Say Before You Die". It captured so many of the "life lessons" that I have learned (and re-learned) over the years. I have asked a handful of students and alumni to read the article and write a piece on one of the 40 items. I have no doubt that at least one will choose to write on #21, "Damn, I look good. You come from a long time of people who convinced others to sleep with them. Remember that." And, I look forward to reading it!

Here is what stuck out to me:
#39. “Today was good.”







If you can say it once, you can say it again. And again. And again.

My Dad used to always say, "Will it matter in 10 years, 10 weeks, 10 minutes?" I think growing up with the constant reminder that each and every day was good was a valuable lesson. When I learned to view life from that lens, it all just seemed to be a little easier. Two weeks ago I had a really bad day. The kind that makes you want to go home, get in bed and pull the covers over your head. I was texting a friend about it and they replied back with, "But tomorrow you will get up and do it all again because you believe in what you do." A powerful reminder that optimism drives each and every day. In the graphic, optimism overlaps with appreciation and at that intersection I find Forward Momentum. Really, the progress that shows that I make the world a better place.
Real life lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment