Thursday, November 22, 2012

I Can Master This! by: Hannah Dixon '13


Another guest post from one of my favorites. As we celebrate Thanksgiving, I am thankful for a job I love and chance to make a difference in the world. Blessings to you and yours this holiday.
-Mandy


Life throws us curve balls on a weekly, even daily basis. During my time abroad in Florence, Italy I have learned that determination and willingness are the key to truly “mastering” one’s self and experiences. Curveballs are no longer scary and you will have become the master of your own destiny. Although we are taught to avoid selfish behavior, it is important to realize that before being able to help others you must learn how to love yourself and the moment in which God has placed you.

Never before did I realize that I had the energy, capability and navigational skills to travel multiple countries in one weekend while balancing 18 units of schoolwork, a new language, finding new friends and whatever was going on with people at home. However, every uncomfortable and new situation that I was placed in resulted in something positive. One is never motivated to learn if they are always put in an environment in which they are familiar with. This can often lead to a dead end academically, socially, personally, mentally and spiritually. Therefore, I ask you, what have you done to make yourself uncomfortable today? And how far are you willing to go to appreciate the gift of your own strength?

We are much more than ourselves. Take upon the beauty of the world and avoid the mantra “ but I know everything there is to know already about x, y, z.” Chances are, there is someone who is wiser, surer and more respected in the subject. Therefore, when you feel as if life has become dull or that you are growing out of “old” ways, remember, you can master anything. With a lot of patience, a little bit of love and even more compassion, do your present (and future self) a favor and channel the humility and wisdom needed to grow. Life changes more rapidly than we are more willing to admit, go out and master yourself and your brightest capabilities! 


#20 “I can master this.”


The ability to learn is the foundation of every other talent.

No comments:

Post a Comment