|"Respond to every call that excites your spirit." -Rumi|
I want our fraternity and sorority community to be a place where all of those questions are asked. A place where, together, the answers are explored. I want to see us thinking and considering more than this moment. I want us to feel valued, connected, not so alone and isolated. I ventured into the land of Facebook and posed these questions. Below are some excerpts of the responses I received.
- The opportunity to create something that solves a problem or issue excites my spirit most. ... When we solve problems, the solution can become the tool for those behind us to build with.
- People who have laid the road before me AND reached back, grabbed my hand and said, "You're coming! And you can do it!"
- (Knowing) that what I was doing was helping someone else. Even just one person, knowing that what I am doing is even making someone think or reflect - even if they're not putting that into action- that makes me want to keep doing what I am doing.
- Knowing that each hour is a new hour and each day is a new day. Each minute is an opportunity to start over... want to not just be myself, but be the best me that I can possibly be. I want to be a trailblazer.
- I find the most thrilling moments come from doing something new and doing it well.
- Knowing that what I do creates a more level playing field, a more just world.
What I appreciate about these responses is that they are grounded in possibility. They all reflect movement, change, discovery. These are the important things to remember. This is our focus. Not referrals to the Greek Discipline Board, struggles with those not attending things when they are supposed to, not who said what to whom. This is the perspective I choose to have. This is the place that I want us to go. Now, today, and each day thereafter.